Monday, October 10, 2016

Armor Up!

I woke up this morning feeling weak. But not just in body because I mostly lack sleep, but much more in spirit. There's a discouraging feel in the air. Stressed out by highly noxious people and the care of active children, I can understand where the feeling comes from. There are concerns, too, weighing on my mind. All temporal, I know. And some are even far out in the future.

What a loony, you may say. But how many of us often gets weighed down by worries and the negativity of those around us that we often fail to take off even as our day does? Many, I would say.

Today, someone I know has her heart broken. And another was quiet because she is worried of something that still will happen in the coming month. Then, there's someone who can't sleep...

Each a different person, but it sure sounds like one. Me.

On a deeper level, we all have been there--- had our hearts broken, worried to silence, and robbed of our precious sleep. It's no wonder that we wake up already tired and spent. And the day has just began.

I can't help but see in us a warrior, vulnerable and defenseless, even as the war wages on mercilessly and without end. Every morning waking up knowing there's a battle to do, but already spent and worn out. What is left in store for us? Logically, defeat.

But, wait! It's not yet over.


In fact, the day has just began (even if you wish it is). Grab a Bible with me, just as I did this morning. Open it to Ephesians 6:10 and 11.

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 
Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Did you read that? Read it again if you must. But it's very clear: we can be strong in the power of our God! God has a ready-to-wear armor just for us. And with it we can withstand anything that the devil puts in our way, may it be fickle people, sickness, material disaster, natural calamity or little everyday stresses that steal our joy.

Further on, read what this armor is. (Ephesians 6:14~18)

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth
having put on the breastplate of righteousness
and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace
above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench 
all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God
praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, 
being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

And so, even as I started weak, I can assure you that my day went on strong. And at the end of the day, I can even say that I got to grab the bull by its horns. Oh, yes, I shed tears. I sweated. I wrestled through my own feelings of hurt and inadequacy. But through it all, my God prevailed. In Him, there is no lost cause.

Whatever you are going through, it's not yet over. Let God make you strong. When the day is rough, and, oh, how it highlights all the more how inadequate you are, take up God's armor. Pray through the day. Sing the praises of Him who is able. And watch as God fights for you. He is more than able.






You may also like to read...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is the Best Kid?

Finally, it's September 1st, the Day of Knowledge (as it is called here in Russia)! School starts officially today. But it falls on a ...