Monday, January 27, 2014

Legacy II: Love for The Book and Learning

"Your testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart" (Psalm 119:111).


Angelika and Ella playing mom/baby.
The "mom" is reading to the "baby".
Today Angelika and I spent most of our day browsing at a bargain bookstore. This we often do, especially in the recent days when it has been rainy, windy or cloudy most days. She is still trying to understand that not all windy days will end up in a storm, much like Haiyan. She didn't want to stay cooped up in the house, though. And she also didn't want to be outside when the wind is blowing really strong. So we go out of the house and usually find ourselves end up in the bookstore, only to go away when it has gone dark. And today was no exception.

There I was trying to decide to get a couple more books while I still have other books waiting for my attention. And there was Angelika on the floor, telling herself stories, book after book. When we couldn't ignore the time any longer, we went out the door with a sigh and say, "I love books." We smiled at each other for having the same thought. It is just so nice to share the same interest with my daughter. We often left without buying anything, but today I was fortunate to find a couple of books and paid for both for only P85, and Angelika found one funny book for P50. We both went home really happy. 

I can only trace my love of books to my parents. Both of them love books. And besides, they both have served in the publishing ministry for years even until Haiyan storm. They recommend books. They sell books. They speak and dream books.

Lolo playing with the girls. They adore him.
We grew up with only a handful of toys, but even in our humble upbringing, we had lots of books. I remember us, girls, having only one doll to play with for the three of us. And it often end up being strewn around--- the body parts, I mean. And so, we played with books--- as blocks, as part of our play house, as part of a game, as part of a reading race/contest, as costume, as props-- to while away time, and to read as reading developed into a hobby.

Our parents encouraged our love for books, especially for good books, that would develop our mind, body and character. They especially hoped that we would find the jewel of all books, the Bible, as a source of wisdom and help. Though there was a time when I would read just about anything and they would discourage that kind of 'wild' reading. From that, I have come to learn and appreciate the importance of choosing reading materials. Just as we carefully choose the people whom we allow to influence us and be in our circle of friends, so too we must be careful in what we read.

Because of my parents' influence, I have come to treasure God's Word among all reading materials, holding up every book in its light, to see if they live up to the Truth. God's Word has become my standard and it has power like no other books. It is the Word of God given to man. Through Jesus, it comes alive. It transforms lives. The Bible has transformed my thinking from simply absorbing anything that the world throws at me to being discerning, digging for real treasure and learning.
My favorites while growing up
and my favorites for my kids to read now.
I don't grow bored reading them again
 and again and again for them. I get to
emphasize a different lesson when I want.
Hey, if you need to have these books too,
email me. ;)

Books are catalysts for learning. And from them, I have learned to love learning. Reading is a very big part of school. I have always loved it when it was time to read and I wasn't afraid of any reading assignments. I even look forward to getting my hands on on thick highly technical books for I would be forced to get out of my comfort zone and learn many interesting things which on my own I would be so reluctant to do.

My father only finished high school and decided not to go to college after he met success in the publishing ministry. He continued to support his family, most especially his siblings schooling through it. But he never stopped learning. He read books, was doing a self-study in the many things that interested him. I can say that even if he didn't have a college degree, the way he worked and his performance level was not inferior to those who did the same job and who have graduated from college. He was highly motivated when it came to learning and his love for books made it easier.

Learning doesn't end in school. As long as there is life, we continue to learn. Modern educational experts have learned that and have encouraged life-long learning. Each person has the capacity to learn and those who continue to do so live better and happier.

May this quote encourage you to keep learning, keep reading. 

"It is impossible for any human mind to exhaust even one truth or promise of the Bible. As we contemplate the great things of God's word, we look into a fountain that broadens and deepens beneath our gaze. Its breadth and depth pass our knowledge. As we gaze, the vision widens; stretched out before us we behold a boundless, shoreless sea.

Development is gained through the constant unfolding to us of the character of God--the glory and the mystery of the written word. If it were possible for us to attain to a full understanding of God and His word, there would be for us no further discovery of truth, no greater knowledge, no further development. God would cease to be supreme, and man would cease to advance. Thank God, it is not so. Since God is infinite, and in Him are all the treasures of wisdom, we may to all eternity be ever searching, ever learning, yet never exhaust the riches of His wisdom, His goodness, or His power." (E.G. White, Education, pg. 171, 172).




You may also like to read...

Get Understanding
On Fishing, Fire and Breakfast
Living a Miracle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is the Best Kid?

Finally, it's September 1st, the Day of Knowledge (as it is called here in Russia)! School starts officially today. But it falls on a ...