Sunday, July 7, 2013

Eyes to Behold

Me and my taped glasses...
I am currently looking more like an absent-minded professor, not because my hair is all over the place (which is quite normal when one seldom uses the comb or hair brush, like I do), but because I am sporting a pair of glasses that's obviously taped on one side of the handles. Yeah, with one of the handles broken, the glasses might as well be broken as I will still have to get a new pair for replacement.

However, husband said that I will have to wait for when I get back to Russia to get new glasses as he wants to be around when I am choosing the new ones. He doesn't like the pair that I am wearing now and he cannot trust my judgment for the reason that I don't have style. He wants to make sure that I don't go overboard with my 'unusual' style and embarrass him by walking around with a star-shaped, glitterati pair.

I admit I could at most times be eccentric, but it is mostly on my line of thinking and philosophy, and not much on style. Currently, I have the leopard-framed, oversized glasses. I don't know what it says about me, but I like them as they are flexible, light and, well, unusual. My husband though has a different idea. For him, with the glasses I am wearing now, I might as well be wearing a pair of binoculars for all the style that I am exhibiting!


But sans the style or the latest innovation on glasses, what's important is not the color of the frames, nor the shape, not even the size, but whether the power in the glasses fit the grade of my eyes. The frames, the style, the shape, the size have their uses (in some sense), but only those lucid glasses will really help me see. Can I see clearly through them with minimal discomfort, or without getting dizzy? People might be looking at me like I'm wearing binoculars when I'm talking with them wearing my taped glasses, but it doesn't matter as they make me see. And I know that hopefully soon when I get to Russia, I will have a new pair as my dear husband has promised.


We often get distracted with the unnecessary and the visible and forget that the fight is more on the invisible and the spiritual. The question that we, people, should ask ourselves is not, "Do I have style?" "Am I projecting my own personality or the right image?" "Do I look rich or trendy?" Instead we should ask, "Is my eye single (on God)?" (Mark 9:47). Jesus has said, "The light of the body is the eye: if therefore your eye is single, your whole body shall be full of light" (Matthew 6:22).


Do we have eyes that see what is before and beyond us? Simeon may be old in years and his eyesight may have gone blurry, but when Jesus came as a baby to the temple with Mary and Joseph, he had eyes that could see beyond the ordinary of what was before him. Jesus was brought by His earthly parents to the temple to be dedicated. For the priest and other people who were at the temple at that time, the family was just another ordinary family and nobody had any idea that the Baby was the long-sought for Messiah. But Simeon knew. He saw beyond their ordinary appearance and recognize God's promise of a Messiah fulfilled. 


How? He was filled with the Holy Spirit (Luke 2:25). He was on speaking terms with heaven. He knew God and he lived for God.


It is so easy to get caught up with the outside trappings and get so fascinated with the trinkets of this world that we fail to recognize and see the Most Precious Jewel. Our eyes see what our sinful hearts want us to see--- the size of houses, the styles of the latest fashion, the artificial colors of faces, nails and hair, and the unhealthy shapes of bodies. We get to be so blind that we fail to realize that size, shape and style may have their uses, but that there is more to life than what our physical eyes can see. Most of all, we fail to behold the "Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world" (John 1:29), meaning: your sins and mine.


My Lord desires that I have eyes anointed "with eye salve that I may see" (Revelation 3:18). I may be sporting taped glasses now, but I know I will be getting my new pair soon. But much more than that, I am looking forward to have eyes that will behold Him at present... And when He comes again. I want to be able to exclaim, as Job did after having a firsthand view of God, "I had heard thee by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees thee" (Job 42:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is the Best Kid?

Finally, it's September 1st, the Day of Knowledge (as it is called here in Russia)! School starts officially today. But it falls on a ...